Goals of assessment
Optimization of grape and wine production, realization of more effective decision support, mapping the environmental parameters of vineyards, producing digital thematic maps.
Processing and integrating remote sensing data, production of thematic layers.
Thematic maps produced by the process of remote sensing data:
- Areas exposed to radiation frost
- Closed basins
- Slope categories
- Aspect categories
- Elevation above sea level
- Species composition
- Biophysical indices (NDVI, SAVI, MSAVI, EVI, NDMI)
- Parcel border identification
- Continuity of rows
- Missing stems
We also provided a complex production model, which next to updating the existing historical information (gained from previous maps) integrated the data from aerial assessments. Data is presented in a simple to understand format which could definitely be utilised by the producers to support decision making.
Why is it worth? What are the benefits of using remote sensing technologies?
Short term benefits from our end products
- By detecting the rows and parcels with missing stems production monitoring on the plantation became more secure and the annual yield can be predicted more effectively.
- By identifying the borders of plantations accurately and by presenting the relief characteristics (elevation above sea level, aspect and slope categories), the climatic conditions (areas of radiation frost, precipitation) and the most important biophysical parameters (NDVI, SAVI, NDMI, MCARI) of a given area on digital maps, the targeted yield can be achieved more accurately.
- Furthermore, the production optimisation can be realized more securely (e.g.: fertilisation, soil tillage, phytoremediation could be planned more accurately).
Long term benefits
With the new data, we were able to:
- plan and establish new plantations more precisely (area selection based on exposure to radiation frost, aspect, slope categories),
- applicable structural changes of existing grape producing sites (selecting and planting new grape-types),
- long term optimisation of plantations (selecting the right site, the right grape type with the right management method),
- the costs of production will decrease because the planning of operation and management is more objective,
- the real estate value of the vineyard is increased by the detailed available information of the site especially if monitoring data is collected as well (for example of the steps of production).